Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Day 60 - Winter Story

Winter Story
Matthew Ryan Fischer

 
I suppose it is still winter, not that winters get too cold in the south west. I don’t remember the last time I saw snow. Ten years? Twelve? Maybe. I took photos of the snow it was such a rare sight. My father nearly broke his hip trying to go outside to pick up the morning newspaper. I got a car cover and he got a black and blue hip and walking with a walker for a week.
But here it was again, that once in a decade occurrence. And I almost missed it.
I barely noticed it, as the clouds grew dark. A shadow fell across the room and I almost didn’t go to the window. It was the noise that made me. Heavy wind and the pitter-patter of something knocking against the windows. I thought it was raining again. Perhaps the yard would flood again. But it was hail.
A rush of wind hit my face as I went outside. It was barely anything. Just enough accumulation to see the green was hidden under white. I was pretty sure my succulents were going to die. But it wasn’t that cold and maybe it wouldn’t last that long. Still, I cursed wasting the money on them and planting them too soon.
Five minutes. Maybe ten. I could have blinked and missed it. Most of it melted almost immediately. Just a few patches left by the fence. Just cold enough that it stuck around for a few hours.  
Michelle sent me a video of Marcy playing in the snow. She ran around and tried to pack enough snow to throw a snowball. She almost got one. One. There was that little of it. Still, it was her first-time seeing snow and I missed it. Marcy looked so excited and I wasn’t there. I was happy Michelle recorded it, but annoyed that we wouldn’t share things like this together. Maybe it would even out, but at least half of it would only be told in photos and films. But I can’t fault Michelle for that. In a perfect world I would have been able to take Marcy somewhere north and she could have seen real snow. Build a snowman. Have a snowball battle. Maybe someday teach her to ski.
I wondered if my father was okay. It was mid-day and he had no reason to be out on the road. Still, I couldn’t help but worry. I should call him and make sure.
I texted Michelle back and asked for more pictures. I would talk to Marcy later and try to vicariously capture some of her excitement, if any were left.
I headed back for the door. My fingers were cold and my phone was getting wet. I could see blue skies in the distance. My five-minute winter wonderland had just about run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment