Thursday, February 16, 2023

Day 47 - Does that count as higher meaning?

 Does that count as higher meaning?
Matthew Ryan Fischer
 
The rain took a break, so I went out to attack as many weeds as I could. I thought the moist soil would make it easier to dig them out. That was almost true. Hard old soil with a thin layer of fertilizer and deep thick roots made for a stubborn challenge. I thought the fertilizer was supposed to kill the weeds. But what do I know; being handy at things was never my strong suit. If it had been, then maybe my lawn wouldn’t have died in the first place.
I wondered what chemicals there were in the fertilizer. And if touching so much of it was bad for me. Also, despite wearing gloves, how did dirt and mud always seem to get under my fingernails? Actually some of that’s my own fault. I wanted a better grip and had taken one of my gloves off. I hope I wasn’t giving myself cancer by being inept at pulling weeds.
My hands smelled. Not of manure, but certainly not good. Again, what were the chemicals in this stuff? I had been at it for less than half-an-hour, but could smell my armpits already. A sign of good old fashion hard work. A sign of being out of shape.
I needed more exercise. This didn’t count. This wasn’t going to change my life. But I could remember a time when an hour of yard work made it feel like my heart might explode. This wasn’t that. This was much better.
I wasn’t sure that this lawn was getting any better.
The rain clouds were on the move again. The wind was really picking up and many a palm frond was bending beyond reasonable belief. I was sure one or more would snap and that trimming them would become my next fun outdoor activity I could fail at.
Figuring the return of the rain was close at hand, I decided to gather my tools. Just as I stood to brush myself off, a woman came walking my way.
Long brown hair, tied back. Bangs pushed up with a headband. She wore running gear, but seemed to only be out for a leisurely stroll. She was an interesting sight to behold.
We caught eyes. And I looked a little too long.
I fully realized how bad my appearance was – muddy hands, dirty yard-work clothes, with sweat rolling down my face.
Suddenly bashful, I realized I was still staring. So was she. We both looked a little too long.
We then did that sort of game where you look slightly off in the other direction, and try to avoid the fact that you had just been staring at each other.
I knelt back down and pretended to arrange my tools. But I peeked over as she passed. I noticed a tattoo of the sun and rays of sunlight coming through dark clouds.
After she passed, I stood back up and watched her walk away. The dark rain clouds loomed overhead, but there was a blue sky and bright sun in-between.
Just like her tattoo. Like it was fate or something.
I was staring off at the sky like an idiot when she turned back around to catch another glance at me. We caught eyes again and I knew she knew I had been watching her walk away. I just stood there for that couple of seconds that lasted an eternity.
Then she turned and continued on her path. It was unclear if the rain would soon return.

No comments:

Post a Comment