Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Day 52 - Karaoke Night

 Karaoke Night
Matthew Ryan Fischer

 
She struggled with her sweater as she pulled it up over her head. I happened to notice and then I just happened to look a little too long. Her tank top underneath began to rise and I could see her bellybutton. And what looked like the start of a tattoo at her waistline.
I closed my eyes, embarrassed. We had made eye contact several times, but we were also on opposite sides of the room and I wasn’t ready to go find out if there was any shared interest or if I was just staring at her one too many times.
Chris had mentioned her – Sarah. Sarah Beth? Sarabeth? Something like that. She was friends with Becky who was friends with Dan who had invited me to the birthday celebration of Emily’s cousin Amy’s best friend Alice. There were too many names and too many people and I was feeling out of place and awkward. I usually stuck with the people I knew, but they were spread out all over the bar. It was a particularly angst-ridden situation for me.  
Chris had mentioned her as he mentioned most women. He was sad and lonely and didn’t know about better how to talk to them than I did. But he mentioned her first, so I guess I had to be a friend and let him have some sort of shot tonight. That was the problem in a group of friends like this – most people were couples, so when any new single person appeared, they were swarmed. I didn’t want to do that. At least not yet. Chris could try. I had seen him try before. I wasn’t too worried about the competition. Besides, the way he was drinking, I could probably talk to her later and he wouldn’t even remember it. Our friendship would be intact.
Her hair was frazzled, a victim of the sweater and static electricity. She tried to straighten out her tank top and fix her hair. That was when she caught me taking another glance. I thought she began to smile but I wasn’t sure. I looked away. Embarrassed.
I tried to return to my previous conversation with Chris, but a new song had started and the music was too loud and everyone was screaming along and I was distracted.
I thought about looking back. I wanted to look back.
She had a birthmark on one shoulder.
Later, after man more drinks, the mood was lightened and everyone began participating with everyone else’s song. People sang along. Many had no idea the correct words. Some people danced. Sara Sarabeth Sarah Beth danced and sang to no one in particular. Shaking her hips and swaying her head, getting lost in the music. Arms raised in the hair, having a good time. Eyes closed. Unaware.
I could just walk across the room. Be near her. Dance near her. That’s all I’d have to do. It should have been easy.
I sat too long. Thought too long. Indecisive too long.
She turned so her back was to me, but then she tilted her head, just a little, just enough so I could catch her glance.
And that smile. From before. Now more of a smirk.
She laughed. Alive. Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment