Friday, June 9, 2023

Day 160 - Seven and Nine

 Seven and Nine
 Matthew Ryan Fischer

 
There was a song stuck in Ace’s mind, something from long ago, when he was young and the years ahead seemed infinite. There was a girl and a couple of close friends and he used to get into street fights and run errands for local gangsters. He never dreamed he would succeed at anything or become someone important, if that was what you could call him now. Most days it didn’t seem feel like anything. He coached fighters and almost never saw his son. Some of the elders remembered a time when he was a man to be feared, but that was decades ago and most of the young ones had no idea who he was beyond his dojo. Gideon remembered, but he only came to visit anymore when he needed something. Ace could guess why Gideon had dropped by.
“You still spar?”
“Not in years. When would I have the time?” asked Gideon.
“Make the time. Come by more often. You and I will have fun.”
“You’d hit a boss?”
“I’ll go easy on you.”
“You never did in the old days.”
“We’re both a lot older and slower. Trust me, I won’t go easy on you because you’re a boss. You’ll hardly know I’m letting you win.”
Gideon laughed. “I might take you up on that. It would be good to feel my blood pumping again. Get out of office and leave the suits behind.”
“It’s never too late.”
“I’ve a lot to worry about.”
“Yes, you do.”
“You do too. I can’t believe you let your son become an Agent.”
“Like I could stop him.”
“That’s sort of why I’m here.”
“I figured this wasn’t strictly social. You want to talk about the new Nine.”
“You’ll train him of course. Once there is one. But I’m afraid my pick will be challenged.”
“I’m surprised the other bosses would object. Frankie is a good kid.”
“It’s not just that. The families negotiate. But I can handle that… No, it’s Jacob. He wants the job. He’s out there trying to gain support.”
“Jacob? Why would he want to be an Agent?”
“Why did your son?”
“My son has no shot at leadership. Jacob does.”
“That’s what I said. But he’s thick headed and won’t listen.”
“Sounds like his dad. But we both did it and survived.”
“Of course, but that was a long time ago and things were mostly peaceful. No one was assassinating Agents. And when I did it my father was a lieutenant. I never expected him or me to raise through the ranks.”
“I understand. What can I do to help?”
“If it comes down to it, they’ll test both men. They’ll ask you to be one of the judges.”
“I understand, but you ask a lot.”
“Nothing I wouldn’t do for you. You or your son. Anything you ever need; you know I’d do it. Just ask. That’s all I’m doing now. Asking.”
“I think we both know it’s a little more than that.”
“Yeah.”
“We were partners for a long time. You saved my life more than once. And when I wanted out, you convinced your father to give me this job. I fear for my son every day. I would never wish that on you.”
“Thank you. I won’t forget this.”
Ace nodded. He would do it; Gideon was his oldest friend left alive and once upon a time they were Agents together. That was a bond stronger than blood. Fearing for your son’s life was a nightmare and he understood why Gideon was asking. But Ace couldn’t help but wonder if Gideon really would do anything if his son needed similar help.

No comments:

Post a Comment