Friday, June 16, 2023

Day 167 - Rama Caught Surrounded

Rama Caught Surrounded
 Matthew Ryan Fischer

 
Rama hadn’t paid enough attention and because of that he faced ruin. Not by the police arresting him or Declan blowing his cover or Maliq having a bone to pick. His attention divided, his suspicions aimed at his own gang, Rama hadn’t thought it through when he went to do a round of collections. And now he was surrounded, sitting across from Ruel with an entire crew blocking him from the door.
The man named Ruel had questions concerning Rama’s bosses, or more specifically the bosses who were funding Rama’s bosses. Ruel knew about Naxis and he knew about the counterfeit money. But he wanted to know more. What he most definitely didn’t know was that Rama was an undercover cop. If he had, Rama was fairly certain he wouldn’t be breathing right now. Ruel was angry but was no fool. If he killed a random collector, the Reapers would come down swiftly and Ruel would be no more. Ruel just didn’t like being ripped off and wanted to know what Naxis’ goals were.
“It sounds like you know more about my bosses than I do.”
“This isn’t a joke.”
“I’m well aware. But I can’t tell you what I don’t know.”
Rama could see a man to either side – an oily man in a suit, and a taller, more muscular brute. There had been a woman there when Rama arrived. She was probably behind him, maybe at the door or maybe had a gun aimed at the back of Rama’s head.
“I’ll tell you what, I would most definitely like to live past this meeting. So, while I can’t tell you what my bosses are up to, I can certainly promise that as soon as I get out of here, I will begin spying on my bosses for you.”
Ruel looked at the man to Rama’s left and both had a good laugh at Rama’s expense.
Rama had pretty much figured out Naxis was in the counterfeit game, but he hadn’t suspected they were flooding the streets to such an extent. It made sense they would be feeling the pinch by now and wouldn’t be happy about it. Ruel played bank to the entire neighborhood. Without trustworthy currency, his business was over. Rama wished he had some bit of intel to offer, but he really wasn’t trusted with Reaper or Naxis business.
“Okay, I can tell you something. There’s a police officer working this case. His name is Declan and he almost busted me working at Club B.”
“I already know him. But I do appreciate you being so forthcoming. What was going on a Club B?”
“I just delivered cash there. Prostitutes, drugs, all sorts of businesses. But there was a big fight between the police and Agents. I haven’t been back since.”
“And who there knows about Naxis and the money?”
“Some? None? I don’t know. I really don’t. I have no idea.”
“Go back to Declan. Why’s he after you?”
“I got away from him and I think it embarrassed him. Club B was an accident, but he came after me again.”
“You must be pretty skilled to keep getting away like that.”
“I guess. I don’t know. Lucky. The guy likes to fight, but I can handle myself.”
“Well maybe I should just turn you in myself and see if there’s a reward.”
“Come on, don’t joke about that.”
“Oh, I don’t joke. But there’s someone else who I think would want to talk to you first.”
Rama was about to ask who, but that was when the plastic bag came down over his head and was pulled tight against his face. Rama tried to stand, but the men on either side slammed him back down into the seat. It was probably the woman holding the bag, but that didn’t make things any easier. Someone punched him in the stomach and Rama lost what little breath he had. He began to panic as he struggled for air against the tightening grip from behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment