Sunday, June 18, 2023

Day 169 - Arch

 Arch
 Matthew Ryan Fischer

 
Ruel said he had something interesting to show Arch and Ruel did not disappoint. It wasn’t clear at first what the value was, but there was no doubt that it was indeed interesting. Ruel had a man tied up with a bag over his head and a tiny tear around the mouth so he wouldn’t suffocate.
“Looks like you had fun.”
“The man was less than forthcoming. I tried to dissuade him of that behavior.”
“And did it work?”
“I give him to you. A gift of solidarity as we embark on our new partnership. May you find more use for them than I did.”
“He someone important?”
“No. But he’s a Reaper and I thought you might want someone with connections to Naxis. He picks up money and makes drop-offs. Maybe you can find the next step in the ladder and work your way up.”
“Yeah, I can work with that.”
 
 
Danik was waiting for Arch when he got back to the warehouse.
“I’ve got something waiting for you in the car. Keep him alive, but find out if he knows anything useful about Yama or Naxis.”
“Jacob is here.”
Arch nodded and smiled. “Maybe we get to start breaking things.”
“Maybe. He does seem a bit more aggressive as of late.”
Arch went to his office to meet Jacob and Danik went to the loading docks to greet their guest.
Jacob was about Arch’s age, but he carried himself with the attitude of aristocracy. Arch was fairly certain he wore finer clothing, but knew that was a choice. He was sure his style was better than Jacob’s, which meant little, but he still prided himself on it. Jacob was born rich and would die rich and had never had to eat dirt the way Arch had.
“How can I help you today?” After a pause a moment too long, Arch added, “sir?”
Jacob waited until Arch poured them both a drink and had sat down.
“They’re building an army.”
“So are we.”
“A new Nine has been nominated. The Claw will be back at full strength.”
“One man. We’ll overwhelm them ten to one and if that doesn’t work one-hundred to one.”
“You’ve secured the financing?”
“Ruel was easy. And I have an inroad with Naxis. Soon we can negotiate or surprise them if necessary.”
“This should have been done by now.”
“Trust me. I’ve done everything you’ve wanted so far.”
Jacob was silent, but Arch could see the conflict on his face. He was a boy in a man’s body. He had never had to go this far before, never had real stakes. He finally realized he was a path with no way back. He was getting scared. Either he won or he would die. Arch almost felt sorry for the man. But then again Arch wasn’t the one to have begun this game.
“Are we ready to move on the drivers? The women?”
“Whenever you’re ready.”
“Good. We can do that quiet. No one notices when those faces change.”
“You’ll have access to most every important bedroom in the city.”
“Do it. I’ll figure out Naxis. Their ambition will blind them into thinking I’m interested in a partnership.”
“What do you want me to do about your father?”
Jacob raised an eyebrow but said nothing.
“You had to expect me to do my research.”
“I suppose so. My father has his plans and I have mine. The difference is, he only has time to think of his own.”
“For now.”
“For now. And soon it will be too late. Let him continue for now. His chaos will blind the rest while we continue. It’s time to move up.”
Arch nodded in agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment