Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Day 305 - Time Steals All

 Time Steals All
Matthew Ryan Fischer
 
Darren told me that he would go around with his friends in high school and they would try to tear down statues or plaques or anything that commemorated something. It started in their school when the alarms were shut off because of the construction on a new wing of the building. The alarms had been sounding every night and the construction workers got tired of hearing the noise so they disabled the system. But in doing so they disabled the alarms for the entire building. Somehow one of Darren’s friends learned about it on accident when he had tried to get into the school to retrieve a book from his locker.  No alarms, no locked doors, nothing. There were cameras of course, but that simply added a little sport to their efforts. Late late late, after the night crews packed it up, but there were still hours of night before the first morning light. Winter was near and the sunrises were later and darker and it only bought them more time. There was a security guard at the turn in from the street to the parking lot. But they didn’t come that way. They parked south of campus and made their way through the woods. Down near the football stadium. From there they could track along the outer walls of the career center until they reached the fencing around the construction site. Over the fence and past the trailers and wood sheds and then it was through a tarp or two and they were inside the old building. They found the doors that were broken, and then it was inside to cause havoc. It began with display cases as eventually they made their way to any class that might have won something. Band and choir, debate clubs, math leagues, and finally back to the stadium to look for winners of some spectacular sports moment. Vandals for no good reason. Other than perhaps hate and jealousy. Darren told me there was a theory, a philosophy, but it sounded like the sort of things someone makes up after the fact to try to rationalize bad behaviors. The police got involved but no one was caught. Security did get better at night though.
Why did he tell me all this? Darren was no Tyler Durden and childish acts of disobedience were hardly Project Mayhem. But I think Darren wanted my attention and perhaps admiration and possibly collaboration. Because the years had passed but Darren hadn’t stopped being an asshole. My words, not his. He might had called himself something far kinder.
I am reminded of a poem I read in high school that I misunderstood at first. It’s a poem about a lost kingdom swept away by the desert and a king who tried to immortalize himself by putting his name on everything. The statues were gone, only the feet remained, the empire long since dead and returned to the earth. The poem was about the futility of ego and the desperate fight against time itself.
I never once thought Darren was raging against the machine in his fits of rage against those that achieved and set out to record it. Their pursuit may have been just as futile as some ancient king, but I don’t believe it was Darren’s purpose to point that out. I think he was an agent of destruction, angry and anything he could not do.
It occurred to me that some ancient Pharaoh might find it obvious that we had dug him up and put him in a museum, memorializing him for eternity, even if we couldn’t quite say his name right or say exactly when he lived. But the point was, he was still famous. He might even mistake that for being worshiped. Because if a Pharaoh was a man-god, then he would expect men five or seven or twelve thousand years later to still appear before his and marvel at his wonders. But he would be dead and would have misunderstood what a museum was for, and his marvels would be just as worthless as the broken statue in the poem.
They say that the galaxies of the universe are speeding away from each other, faster and faster, and that someday the sky will go dark as the stars are too far separated. And then after another eternity the suns will all burn out and the universe will go cold. And then maybe it will collapse and start all over again.
I wonder about the broken statues on far away planets we will never get to see. Structures and proclamations and the attempts to defeat time, and no one will ever be able to travel far enough fast enough to even share in some sort of mutual recognition of disgust at how little there was or what any of it meant.
What terrible loneliness we all feel. What a terrible disservice it is to destroy. If there is some meaning in the futility it has to be in the ability to connect, not to destroy. Poor Darren and his inability to see such things. A man set out to destroy the ego of others, not realizing their sad solitude and pathetic attempt to overcome it. What a sad man, that all he could do was break and leave more broken in his wake. A man who could never build a thing.
But the truth is I remember. Inadvertently or not, he built that.
I remember the statue that I never saw. The poem that recorded it. The empire that may or may not have been real or simply legend. A million cities beneath the ground, under water, burnt and ruined, covered in ash or snow. A million planets with a million possibilities and I believe in them all.
In clearing out a box of mementos in my parent’s basement, I discovered an award for a project built in a class at the technical center. I don’t remember the project. I don’t remember the class. But the award had my name on it. So, I took it without asking, it was mine after all, and I proudly placed it on my dresser at my apartment.
Maybe I’m yelling at clouds or maybe I’ve staked my claim against a cold and uncaring universe, but for one second, I am proud.
I unlocked my window and left it cracked so I could feel the cool air come in as I fall asleep. Somewhere out there is Darren, and I wonder if my award will still be there when I wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment