Monday, November 20, 2023

Day 324 - Forgotten Love

Forgotten Love
Matthew Ryan Fischer
 
“You’re not supposed to be wearing that...”
“Oops. Guess I stole it. You gonna tell?”
Vanessa was wearing a bridesmaid dress when Derrick found her. A rich uncle on the bride’s side had rented a hotel ballroom to keep the party going after the wedding reception ended. It was sometime past two in the morning. The hotel had a strict policy and everyone was to have cleared out by midnight. Maybe it was a city noise ordinance, or maybe they didn’t like people having too much fun.
“Some poor bridesmaid lost that, and you’re going to steal her only memento from a beautiful ceremony.”
“Some poor bridesmaid shouldn’t have left it by the hotel swimming pool then.”
“Maybe she had other things on her mind at the time.”
“Probably. But drunk lust is no excuse for leaving behind precious things…”
“You seem like fun.”
“You’ve got no idea.”
The room was still in disarray. Folding tables and chairs pushed around, table clothes stained from food and drink. One had been pulled entirely off the table and wadded up in the corner of the room. Derrick didn’t want to know why or what it might be covering up. Vanessa had a bottle of spirits with her.
“You lift that too?”
“Some cab-i-nets are not locked late at night it seems.”
She stressed the wrong syllables and pulled the words apart. Perhaps she was drunk, considered Derrick, or perhaps it was her sense of humor.
“You going to offer me some?”
“You, sir, are lazy. Look around. Open some drawers and cabinets. Craft services don’t work this late at night. You have no idea what you might find.”
Derrick looked around the room, but made no motion to move.
“I imagine this room was supposed to be locked.”
Vanessa laughed at him.
“Yes. I suppose it was. And yet here I am. And here you are. Imagine the surprise on the staff’s faces. Two rapscallions breaking and entering. They shall arrest us both. I’ll blame you of course. Probably have to testify, but it will be worth it.”
“Boy that escalated.”
“You started it, threatening me over some stolen dress. You sir, are a scallywag.”
“I don’t know what’s happening right now, but I suppose you’re right. My apologies.”
“Thank you.”
Vanessa poured herself another drink and handed the bottle over to Derrick.
“Thanks.”
“And thank you!”
“Are you this drunk or are you really just this fun?”
“Ah, the man has wedding goggles on. He thinks a compliment or two and every woman here is looking to get laid. We’re all so sad because it wasn’t us at the altar. And here you are ready to swoop in and rescue us. Of course of course of course. Just another walking cliché.”
The truth was Derrick had been crossing the courtyard on his way back to his room after having struck out with a friend of a friend of the groom. The hotel bar had called last call, and that put an abrupt end to the evening. Derrick saw what seemed like lights coming from the windows of the ballroom and decided to investigate. He was hoping there might be an after after party and something of interest, and he was not disappointed.
“I think you’re fun to talk to. I don’t know about all the rest of what you just accused me of. But I would like to call you sometime. Can I call you?”
“Why spoil a perfectly good evening? Why turn this into something else? Why do you have to do that?”
“If it’s so perfect, why not repeat it?”
“Perfectly good. As in good enough. Adequate. Passable. Perfunctory.”
“Ouch. Enough. You’re going to break my heart.”
“I think I already did.”
“You’re friends with Debbie, right?”
“You are not going to use a mutual acquaintance to worm your way into my life.”
“Worm? I had no intention of it. I think “wear you down” is much more apt.”
“I’m not interested.”
“No?”
“No.”
Derrick looked her in the eyes to confirm the truth. He was hopeful, but realistic.
“Okay, got it. Well, it’s well past my pumpkin time, so I will leave you be. Thanks for the drink and the fun conversations.”
“Of course.”
“Try to be out of here before the morning staff arrives. You don’t want to go to hotel jail.”
She made some gestures in the air with her hand and waved him away.
“I shan’t be caught my white knight.”
Derrick nodded and left.
 
 
Vanessa was in line at the brunch buffet, wrestling with her headache and stomach, wondering what would be easier to consume, fruit salad or buttery pancakes.
“I think I was calling you Vickie last night. Sorry.”
“I don’t know that I ever told you my name.”
“Well, still, sorry.”
“Meh. It was kind of endearing in a sad drunk sort of way.”
“Ouch. Thank you?”
“It’s a compliment. Trust me. With my hangover I don’t have the energy to lie.”
“You keep the dress?”
“It’s already packed.”
“So last night was fun.”
“Really? You’re going to start that again? So soon?”
“I… It was. Sorry to have offended you.”
“I’m tired and hungover. Read the room.”
They were silent for a moment. Derrick didn’t really know what to say.
“Vanessa. Not Vickie. Take it down to a five and maybe we can sit at the same table while we eat.”
Derrick nodded.
“I can do that.”
“And go grab me a coffee. A great big coffee.”
Derrick saluted and headed off. Vanessa sighed. Her head ached far too much for this game. Still though, it was still a wedding weekend, so she was practically obligated to put in the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment