Monday, December 11, 2023

Day 345 - I did not like the man

I did not like the man
Matthew Ryan Fischer
 
I did not like the man or the way he looked at me. Something was wrong in his eyes when he stared. Something was wrong in the way that he stood. Something was wrong in the way that he was. I did not like the man and I wanted to leave.
I could hear the click-clack of his shoes on the stone road behind me.
I had never been robbed before, but I steadied myself, trying to remain calm and temper my fear. I would survive, I told myself. I would give whatever the man wanted. I would not react or fight or provoke. If he were reasonable in the least, I would be reasonable in the most.
The man sped up and walked past me. Not to cut me off or intimidate. Just to pass me and be on his way. I had misjudged the situation.
But something else was wrong. Something horrific.
The man had two shadows. Not a trick from multiple street windows. Not a reflection in storefront glass. Two shadows, each with a seeming life of their own.
One shadow from the evening light kept stride, attached. The other shadow cast not from light, but a shadow from within, lingered a little while. A dreadful reflection of the scarred spirit within. One shadow went with him as he passed. The second shadow looked back and watched and saw and learned.
Fear grew in my stomach. What did it want? What did it see in me?
I found myself stepping in stride, keeping pace with the man, unable to look away. Trapped in the shadow’s grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment